Established in 1899
The Newrybar Community Hall (previously known as The Newrybar School of Arts) was built in 1899 and has become the focal point of community life.
Many weddings, parties, school functions, meetings and events have been celebrated at the Hall over its 120 year lifetime.
A billiard room and library were a feature of the Hall in the early days.
Concerts, bazaars, Pens Touring Talkies, cards, billiards, skating, table tennis, meetings, junior farmers, school functions , sports evenings and tournaments were all a regular feature at the Hall. Balls and dances were organised monthly with visitors travelling by local cream carrier to attend.
Newrybar Community Hall was the site of the official Switching-On Ceremony of electricity on 24th September 1934. The event was well attended with over 200 district residents and visitors. The Ballina Brass Band played in the illuminated street and Mr. W. Boorman, the first secretary and foundation trustee of the Hall, switched on the lights.
ln January 1940 and again in 1942, the Hall was extensively damaged by a severe cyclone. After repairs were completed and the roof was replaced, the Hall continued to be an important part of the social life of the community. The Newrybar RSL had regular meetings at the hall from 1946 until its closure in 1997 due to a decline in RSL members.
During the war years, the hall saw many farewell and welcome home parties for the men who returned. The ladies committee held functions and sent packages away to aid the war effort. In 1947, the hall committee erected an Honour Roll for the servicemen of the community. It still remains in the hall today.
Working bees were regularly carried out by the Hall committee and local citizens, when needed and fundraising functions were often held to raise money for repairs.
Our hall could not function so efficiently over the years without the hard work of the many committee men and women.